OEM IPMI Command

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Wed Oct 25 03:00:09 AEDT 2017

I'm considering a new IPMI OEM command and I'd like to run it by
everybody and see if there are thoughts on it, whether it'll end up in
the OpenBMC OEM namespace or not.

This is a bit counter-intuitive, but it may sometimes make sense to
control the BMC from the host, more than reset, etc.  What about being
able to start a systemd target?

I have a use case where, in situations where I'm about to upload a new
flash image that I may want to turn off all sensors and other
at-the-moment superfluous services.  I could just tie that into the
update service targets, but why not have a general case for this?
What if there's some diagnostic you want to run or something else.
Perhaps you're on the networking talking to the BMC and it's not
responding how you imagine so you want to do some sort of dump and
then collect the information -- provided it's working sufficiently to
handle that.

Thoughts?

Patrick