phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Tue Oct 24 01:48:22 AEDT 2017

I'm curious if anyone has experience using the phosphor-network
manager daemon. I've run into some oddities using it for instance, if
you don't configure anything it sets up both links as LinkLocal and
enables DHCP, etc -- and then even if DHCP fails, it doesn't update it
(although it's aware of the failure) -- and when I then go to set the
IP address over IPMI to a static IP, I run the two lan channel set
commands which work (because they just set the object contents) --
when i call "access on" over IPMI, it tries to delete all the dbus
objects for the network, which fail because of checks in the network
daemon that prevent this, which causes the network daemon to crash.

Ultimately I'm going to enable the host ipmi daemon to support
multiple channels -- the trick is then to map the channel to an
ethernet device...  Some patches will be send up today to reviewing
this type of change.

I'm going through the uses cases now trying to get it working, and
just curious what I should be doing to get it to work.

Also of note, when I set the MAC address -- which works :), it doesn't
update the configuration for the systemd network file with that
information  -- I'll be sending a patch for that today -- but I was
curious if that was deliberate, etc.

Thanks,
Patrick