New options for `obmcutil`

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Oct 12 16:11:48 AEDT 2017

Hello,

I've got a patch-series that reworks `obmcutil` to remove some cruft,
use some more standard python techniques and also to add some new
commandline options that make it more effective (at least, in my
opinion).

The series does remove some truly esoteric capabilities, but I expect
those who care (if anyone) can do the job in other ways (e.g.
`busctl`). All the 'normal' commands are retained, i.e:

* {power,chassis}{on,off}
* {bmc,chassis,host,}state
* bootprogress
* power

If you're keen to review it, the series is here:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/q/project:openbmc/skeleton+branch:master+topic:obmcutil-rework

The essence of the series for end users is:

1. `obmcutil` will now block rather than die with an exception when
invoked before necessary objects are available on DBus:

    https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/7276

2. There is now a --wait option to make it block until a command is
complete, and give an appropriate exit status:

    https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/7257/

2. And there is a --verbose option, which largely exists to complement
--wait, which will dump the journal to stdout until the command is
complete:

    https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/7258

If you're interested, please review!

Cheers,