OpenBMC on Raspberry PI 3.

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Wed Oct 11 14:05:59 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 11:01 -0300, Javier Romero wrote:
> > Ah - so I don't think you've outlined why you picked OpenBMC for the
> > job. Can you give us a quick run-down?
>
> I'm an individual contributor on the Open Compute Project and follow
> the Hardware Management Group, OpenBMC is on their project scope and
> sounds very interesting for me, so decide to participate and see if I
> can be useful.

Ah, nice. Good to have some background :)

> > There are going to be easier projects out there than OpenBMC to cut
> > your teeth with, but if you are keen to learn to program, feel you have
> > the drive to do so and Yi is happy to help out with your interest in
> > the Raspberry Pi then by all means stick around :)
>
> Have bought the Raspberry PI a few days ago, to start contibuting to
> the OpenBMC project and try to make it work on the RPI. I can learn
> what is needed on the way, and that is why I'm here and decide to
> participate, to contribute while learning new things.

Great! I look forward to you helping us improve our documentation and
on-boarding of contributors. It might be rocky but it should help those
coming along in the future.

>  But if more
> programming advanced knowledge is requiered to participate on the
> OpsnBMC project, maybe I'll have to cut my teeth with other project as
> you said.

Play it by ear - I just wasn't sure what your motivations were. But
since you're coming from the OCP background with an interest in
hardware management, it makes sense to stick around here. As long as
you get in touch when you get stuck we'll find someone to help answer
your questions.

Cheers,

Andrew