chassis_control.py in skeleton

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Nov 29 07:52:51 AEDT 2017

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 12:38 AM, Yong Li <yong.b.li at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Based on my understanding, these chassis control/system manager related
> projects in skeleton should be initial/reference code, and will be

This is correct.  The intent is to remove them eventually.

The replacement for the chassis manager is
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-state-manager

The functions of the system manager have gradually been replicated
elsewhere.  For instance its state management functions were
moved to phosphor-state-manager or systemd.  Other functions were
distributed amongst configuration files and other applications.

They have not been removed from the current systems because
they all need to be scrubbed for any remaining usage.

> rewritten/reimplementation. I would like to know if there is any plan or
> on-going projects on them?

The plan is to scrub the existing systems and eliminate use of these
programs.  This means identifying any functional gaps in the replacements
and implementing those.  I don’t think anyone is working on that at the
moment.

Ideally any new layers/platforms being added would just not use
these programs, but I understand if that requires replacement function
that isn’t available and wouldn’t want that to hinder upstreaming
of a new platform.

If I were to begin to work on this, I would start by building images
for the current systems, remove these applications from the image
and see what breaks.

> Thanks,
> Yong Li

-brad