OpenBMC Thermal Design

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Wed May 3 06:46:52 AEST 2017

Just to give some details, the present design is as follows:
- A zone is a group of fans controlled independently.
 -- The configuration specifies the inputs to the PID loops. -- each loop
takes an input and a goal, and outputs an RPM to achieve the goal.  (the
loop input can be the margin)
 -- The PID loops all feed into a maximum function which then feeds a fan
PID loop that tweaks the duty cycles as write and reads the fan tachs back
until it's where it needs to be.

So we'll be dynamically building a list of PIDs to run and drive the output
for controlling the fans.

Patrick