New Platform Guide

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Thu Jun 8 04:18:39 AEST 2017

Where is the new platform guide?

In trying to get the quanta board running with everything; I've often run
into stumbling blocks when trying to define what packages are required and
what need to be replaced with custom versions -- for things like sensors.

Often I've been more or less reduced to checking the journal logs to see if
something is saying why it's not running (settings.py was crashing which
meant ipmid wouldn't start as an example).  It took some source searching
to figure out that x really depended on some object existing.  Often those
were in the service file, but not every time.  And especially as OpenBMC is
a moving target, this has been somewhat discouraging.  Especially when the
"supported" platforms all stem from the skeleton which still has its
fingers in many places.

That said, there are a lot of dependencies between packages, and things
that you receive that maybe you don't want or need or aren't configured
properly.  For example, I don't know why or what the led-manager is doing
but it's on my system running.  I don't believe I configured it.

If there is a guide, then I didn't see it and I apologize.

If there isn't a guide -- I can start one; however, I won't really have to
do it properly until some time in July.  My approach would be, create a new
platform that mimics Zaius but under a different name and see what it takes
to output a similar image and what is really required -- although difficult
for me to test.  So maybe a new Quanta image from scratch and see what's
running, and why and what things need to be configured.

Thanks,
Patrick