FFDC tool?

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Jul 27 13:45:42 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:23:31AM +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
> So, I spotted https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/4881/ (well, an
> associated internal bug report), and it appears there is a FFDC tool in
> existence?
>
> (FFDC seems like a bit of an IBM specific term, First Failure Data
> Capture - i.e. gather all the things when something goes wrong and
> attach it to a bug report)
>
> I'm wondering where I missed any announce/info on its availability and
> use?

It has been around since January.  Not sure we announced it specifically
anywhere.  It was something quickly thrown together by one of the
members of the automated test team to help them facilitate gathering
some data for automated test failures.

Jayanth is working on a fairly large revamp of this so we can handle
capturing different data for both core dumps and user-initiated data
collection.

He started a discussion on it back in May but did not get any feedback:
    https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2017-May/007654.html

> Perhaps an idea would be to put it in the motd and/or /etc/issue(.net)
> so that it's prominently documented (we do this for petitboot for
> OpenPOWER host firmware, and I think that helps)?

We should probably revisit this after the new API is complete.

--
Patrick Williams