GPIO offsets used by userspace

Hergert, Nolan nolan.hergert at intel.com
Tue Jan 31 12:23:13 AEDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Jeffery [mailto:andrew at aj.id.au]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 5:13 PM
To: Hergert, Nolan <nolan.hergert at intel.com>; Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au>; Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz>
Cc: OpenBMC <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: GPIO offsets used by userspace

Hi Nolan!

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 00:50 +0000, Hergert, Nolan wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the maintainers are moving away
> from literal gpio numbers to named descriptors ("disk_led") in the
> device tree, as we're moving to more dynamic hardware
> https://lwn.net/Articles/533632/. Linus Walleij's talk was helpful
> for me too:
> http://elinux.org/images/9/9b/GPIO_for_Engineers_and_Makers.pdf

You're right, and that's what we should be aiming for if someone has the time to do the work. In the short term, we *can* just change the hacky offset numbers that already exist in the userspace to work around the problem. It's distasteful, but not worse than what we already have.

Patrick: Did you have any plans for reworking the userspace bits?

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: please try to reply in-line rather than top-posting, that way the context of the conversation is a bit easier to track.

Glad to, thanks for the heads up.