GPIO offsets used by userspace

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Tue Jan 31 12:12:35 AEDT 2017

Hi Nolan!

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 00:50 +0000, Hergert, Nolan wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the maintainers are moving away
> from literal gpio numbers to named descriptors ("disk_led") in the
> device tree, as we're moving to more dynamic hardware
> https://lwn.net/Articles/533632/. Linus Walleij's talk was
> helpful  for me too:
> http://elinux.org/images/9/9b/GPIO_for_Engineers_and_Makers.pdf

You're right, and that's what we should be aiming for if someone has
the time to do the work. In the short term, we *can* just change the
hacky offset numbers that already exist in the userspace to work around
the problem. It's distasteful, but not worse than what we already have.

Patrick: Did you have any plans for reworking the userspace bits?

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: please try to reply in-line rather than top-posting, that way the
context of the conversation is a bit easier to track.