Does anyone tftpboot the userspace image?

Xo Wang xow at google.com
Tue Jan 24 06:23:06 AEDT 2017

Hi folks,

Thanks for chipping in on this.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Brad Bishop
<bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
> Hi Xo
>
> Honestly this is my _only_ use case… I don’t ever flash machines unless
> whatever I am testing specifically requires that, which for me anyway,
> is very infrequent.
>
> There doesn’t necessarily have to be an all or nothing approach taken here.
>
> cpio.lzma.u-boot can be removed from IMAGE_FSTYPES in several places:
>
> -in your local.conf
> -in zaius.conf in the zaius layer
> -in a yet to be created ingrasys.conf in the ingrasys layer
> -probably other ways too
>
> Alternatively, we can turn it off by default and add it where it is desired - possibly
> -in my local.conf
> -in in ibm.conf

I don't think we have to do anything about this. I didn't realize what
the images are useful for until after I had mailed the change.

Now that I know netbooting from the rootfs is possible I'll try it on
my setup. It should save a fair bit of time flashing the userspace
portion---another development annoyance for me. :)

You should add this to the cheatsheet in the project docs.

> I guess what I am not sure of is which makes more sense to be the default?
> When these kinds of questions come up I tend to think in terms of what would
> benefit new users of the project the most?  I honestly don’t know - what does
> everyone else think?

I would say that it's a fair default to generate all the useful
products on a simple "bitbake obmc-phosphor-image" invocation. Like
you said, it's not difficult to remove products in local.conf.

A third solution is to fix up the build dependency chain:
do_generate_flash currently depends on do_image_complete (thus all the
fs image products). If the netboot image were a separate recipe from
obmc-phosphor-image, then you could run "bitbake -c generate_flash
obmc-phosphor-image" for only the assembled flash image.

However, I'm pretty sure this would require two image roots be
installed with the same packages, so a normal build would be a lot
slower. Probably not a good solution, but maybe you folks know of a
way to make that work.