Does anyone tftpboot the userspace image?

Mine mine260309 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 21:10:14 AEDT 2017

Hi Xo,

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Xo Wang <xow at google.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I noticed from this discussion
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2016-April/thread.html#2738
> that kernel developers were tftpbooting the userspace image from a
> obmc-phosphor-image-<machine>.cpio.lzma.u-boot file.
>
> 1. How does/did that work? I guess you needed a custom init in the
> initrd to load the u-boot container (?) instead of from mtd?

In uboot, we can use tftp to load the kernel and initrd to specific address,
and use `bootm` command to start the kernel.
E.g. for witherspoon:
tftp 0x80001000 kernel
tftp 0x81000000 initrd
bootm 0x80001000 0x81000000

> 2. Are you still using this? Building the extra .cpio.lzma.u-boot is
> kind of slow, with an extra ~45 seconds to do 'find | cpio | lzma;
> mkimage' every build, and it can't be parallelized.

I believe someone uses this, since it does not require to flash the image to
the NOR flash, and make it easier to test new build.