IPMI LAN command story design - try 3rd send

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Wed Dec 13 14:08:01 AEDT 2017

Hi all,

Digging up an old thread here, but I think this is important:

> Thanks for the explanation.  With this website you pointed to and some
> other investigation I've done, I am comfortable with us using the 'Set
> Channel Access' as the time to apply the settings.  The documentation of
> two competition products both seem to require an 'ipmitool mc reset
> warm' for IP address changes to take effect, so we are at least better
> than that.

The two BMC implementations that I'm aware of do not require a mc reset
for lan parameters to be applied. Both will apply settings without
further commands. One will wait 10 seconds before applying settings, to
allow multiple changes to be grouped into a single reconfiguration.

Requiring non-standard command to be issued causes a disconnect between
user expectations and our implementation. We'd have to document this
difference in behaviour for every potential sysadmin interacting with
OpenBMC.

> Can you internally track down a contact on the xCAT team and verify that
> this will be ok with them?

Not just xCAT, but every other provisioning software that will support
OpenBMC. Including ones that are custom-developed. That's not feasible.

For cases like this, we should really reconsider before coming up with
our own special interface requirements.

Regards,

Jeremy