openbmc query

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon Aug 7 17:00:42 AEST 2017

Hi Rashmi,

On Mon, 2017-08-07 at 04:50 +0000, R V, Rashmi wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to learn about openbmc.

Great! Welcome :)

>  I have gone through the link given below and tried to use the image
> to build on AST2500 EVB. But it doesn’t work for me. Can you please
> guide me on how to run the built image file(build number 1016 in the
> link) and the test cases for it?

Okay, it's not clear to me what is and isn't working for you.

Have you successfully built an image but qemu is failing for you? Or
have you not yet successfully built an image?

Hopefully the following isn't confusing more than helpful: To build an
image to run on the AST2500 EVB, you should run:

    $ TEMPLATECONF=meta-openbmc-machines/meta-evb/meta-evb-aspeed/meta-evb-ast2500/conf . openbmc-env
    $ bitbake obmc-phosphor-image

Note that sourcing openbmc-env will drop you into a new directory,
./build. Paths referring to artifacts will be relative to the build
directory.

Once this completes (hopefully successfully) you should have a flash
image at tmp/deploy/images/evb-ast2500/image-bmc

As this image is built for writing to the EVB, this may not work with
the qemuarm configuration in the job you linked to. However, if you're
running a modern Linux distro the packaged qemu may already have
support for the EVB. For instance Fedora 26 packages qemu 2.9.0, which
has enough support for you to successfully run:

    $ qemu-system-arm -M ast2500-evb -m 512 -nographic -drive file=tmp/deploy/images/evb-ast2500/image-bmc,if=mtd,format=raw

If you don't have at least qemu 2.9.0 handy you can build our fork
hosted here:

    https://github.com/openbmc/qemu

Once that's built you can invoke the commandline above to boot the
image.

It's been too long since I've built and booted something that would
work with the `runqemu qemuarm`-like configuration that the CI job
uses. Others might be able to chime in, but from your question I think
the EVB-specific build is what you're after.

Hope that helps! The docs repository might also give you some insight,
but be aware that some of the information is out-of-date:

    https://github.com/openbmc/docs

Cheers,

Andrew