Plans for BMC i2c to host bridge via IPMI

Peter Hanson peterh at google.com
Thu Apr 20 05:32:42 AEST 2017

Anton,

Thank you for the interesting contributions. As noted earlier, the
Master send-receive message is inadequate to describe the private bus
array in a modern Bmc. And has other senseless limitations. But using
another message seems like a small difference. So I have been studying
your design for its key ideas.

I have some basic high-level questions and/or guesses.

A higher level entity sends messages to one `adapter', which then
sends them to i2c. More-or-less separately, a slave adapter receives
replies and converts them back to messages to that entity.

I now think ipmid can act as that entity. If so, it would be useful to
understand completely how that works.

I see what looks like usable slave I2C adapter code. Is it for
multimaster I2C bus? Or do infernal messaging flows also use it?

Thanks again,
 -- peterh