[RFC 0/2] spi: aspeed: SPI1 mode control driver enabling sysfs control

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon Oct 24 14:05:07 AEDT 2016

Hi Kun,

On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 17:45 -0700, Kun Yi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for feedback on a simple Aspeed SPI1 mode control driver that does two things mainly:
> 1. Expose a sysfs interface for userland control of SPI1 interface.
> 2. Optionally override the SPI1 mode at probe if "start_mode" is configured in
>    device tree.
>
> Aspeed 24XX/25XX support three interface modes for their SPI1 interface,
> which can be configured via HW strap register. In the typical case of connecting
> a host flash chip SPI1 interface:
> - SPI master mode makes BMC the master to the host SPI flash
> - SPI pass-through mode make whichever external SPI interface connected to SYSSPI
>   be the master
> - There are also "disable" and "debug" modes. Aspeed 25XX specified the debug
>   mode is reserved though.
>
> In particular, SPI pass-through mode would enable an external SPI master to
> directly program host SPI chip and possibly serve as an alternative way to LPC
> for host CPU accessing SPI flash. I think by providing a sysfs handle, userspace
> applications can have a flexible way to mux host SPI flash ownership between
> BMC/external on the fly.
>
> Overriding the SPI mode at probe time can be useful to make sure 2500-smc flash
> controller always identifies the flash chip and create /dev/mtd files correctly.
>
> I wrote the driver as a standalone misc driver for the ease of initial implementation.
> There are other options such as merging the functionality into the SMC driver
> itself, possibly enabled by optional device tree arguments/nodes, but I just want to
> send the patches out first to gather comments on perceived usefulness of
> the feature and how you think the driver should be constructed.

At least one issue I have with the implementation is that the strap
register is currently "owned" by the pinctrl driver, but the patch as
it stands has no interaction with this subsystem. Arguably the pinctrl
driver is where this should be implemented, as it encapsulates pinmux
whose aim is to manage the functionality made available on the SoC's
pins.

Currently the pinctrl driver treats the strapping register as read-
only. That should probably change in light of what you're trying to do
here, though only to the extent of allowing the SPI mode switch.

Cheers,

Andrew