Jenkins job for per-repository CI

Matt Barth msbarth at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 22 02:39:32 AEDT 2016

Hey Joel,

On 11/20/2016 06:47 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> You need to set your username in Thunderbird. I also recommend not top
> posting and disabling HTML mail when sending to mailing lists.

Thanks for the pointers, think I fixed things on this now.
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matt Barth is working a story to use his new auto tools capabilities
>> in each of our repo's to do "make check" calls when code is committed.
>
> Cool! I assume make check will be used by developers on the local
> machines too. I think it's important that our development process is
> as frictionaless as possible. To that end, someone should be able to
> git clone && autoreconf && ./configure && make check wherever
> possible.

Correct, this should be able to be done by developers on local machines
within a x86_64(most likely) SDK or without a SDK if all the
dependencies are met.
> This is harder for projects that have cross-project dependencies. How
> are you handling these cases?

At this time, the dependencies will be up to the developer when
attempting to run locally(SDK or not). There's likely some work still to
be done here where ./configure should report any missing dependencies
for the developer to correct.
On the Jenkins automation side, I'm working on a script to parse
configure.ac in determining what dependencies need to be installed
within the docker image prior to running the unit tests. This is a work
in progress at the moment and will possibly cause updates to each repo's
configure.ac file to better define the dependencies.
> Do you have any code for us to look at?

There's a couple commits in gerrit for the Jenkin's scripts to build and
run the docker image and I'm working on the script that runs within the
docker image to determine these dependencies now.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/1103/
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/1230/
> Cheers,
>
> Joel