IPMI LAN command story design - try 3rd send

tomjose tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Nov 5 04:50:25 AEDT 2016

Hi Patrick,

In the IPMI command flow that Nan mentioned in the earlier mail. Any of
the following ipmitool command for
setting the IPv4 configuration, one of the step is to 'Commit
Write'(Step 8 in Nan's mail).

ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr x.x.x.x
ipmitool lan set 1 netmask x.x.x.x
ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr x.x.x.x

As part of the execution of any of the above commands a commit write is
executed. In that case we cannot use
'Commit Write' as a way to denote the completion of a transaction.

The IPMI specification expects the IP configuration parameters as
non-volatile parameters. The commit write
parameter is a way to implement rollback feature. The BMC would make a
copy of the existing parameters
when the 'Set in Progress' state is asserted.

The Get/Set LAN Configuration commands do not provide an option to apply
the configuration and is identified as
LAN channel settings. The link below used 'Set Channel Access' command
to apply the settings.
(ipmitool lan set 1 access on). Since LAN configuration parameters are
channel settings, we thought of
applying the LAN configuration parameters as part of 'Set Channel
Access'. I am okie if we have
an OEM command to trigger applying the LAN settings.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Configuring_IPMI_under_Linux_using_ipmitool

In Barreleye we did not implement the 'Set Channel Access' command.
There was no external
command to trigger apply the settings. In Barreleye the LAN settings are
applied when all the
three entries(IP Address, Netmask and Gateway address) where set. So
only to change the
IP address, the netmask and gateway address need to be re-entered, which
was an imperfect
solution.

Regards,
Tom