Adding a MAINTAINERS file

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed Nov 2 10:33:37 AEDT 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Brendan Higgins
<brendanhiggins at google.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure how you can enforce specific reviewers in Gerrit without
>> yet another config file per repo that we need to maintain.
>

> Again, the goal of listing reviewers is not to enforce a particular set of
> reviewers, but to offer a quick and easy reference as to who you should be
> talking to; where to direct your questions; and consequently good people to
> put on your code reviews; I see no reason to make that a requirement since a
> maintainer has to sign-off anyway.

Can we add tooling so pushing a review will cc the relevant
maintainers automatically?

In a past life I used repo to interact with gerrit, and we would add
the reviewers to the command line. This would be similar to the kernel
workflow of using get_maintainers.pl and git send-email. Perhaps this
is already available for non-repo Gerrit users, and we just need to
add it to our documentation.

On the proposal in general; I think it's a good move. Did we consider
using something like the OWNERS file that is used by Chromium? In that
project, developers are added to an OWNERS file anywhere in the source
tree to indicate they should be consulted over changes to that part of
the tree.

 http://dev.chromium.org/developers/owners-files

As an example, this allows me indicate that I should be consulted when
you are submitting a change to the u-boot or kernel parts of the tree,
such as meta-phosphor/common/recipes-kernel.

Cheers,

Joel