Aims for BMC emulation in qemu

Teddy Reed teddy.reed at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:17:16 AEST 2016

Wow, sorry for lagging behind in the discussion! But I love all the suggestions!

This 'hybrid' approach definitely fits my need for boot testing and
enabling rapid development for the more-dynamic userland and
non-driver tweaks of U-Boot/Linux.

If possible, and I think this is the current MO, can we use the
openbmc/qemu as staging for changes to be up-streamed?

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 17:21 +0200, Cédric Le Goater wrote:
>> > Any work-arounds included in the fork should have an obvious immediate
>> > benefit and a plan to phase them out, and if that's not the case then
>> > they should be rejected. If it's more work to maintain the hack than to
>> > implement an accurate model, then we should do the latter.

To fit the hybrid-approach, the development board models for the SoCs
can be the machine targets for the non-accurate models. Then you have
an ast2400 target that may include some work-arounds or devices that
allow for more-rapid prototyping, as is common with devboards. This
fits with several other qemu ARM development boards too-- like the
vexpress suite.

The board-specific models, like palmetto-bmc, can be held to as
absolute of model representation as possible. For these boards, no
work-arounds should be managed/merged, IMO. This makes for healthier
and more-manageable up-streaming.

--
Teddy Reed V