Assistance adding new system into openbmc project

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Mar 18 04:12:38 AEDT 2016

Shay,

Sorry for my slow response on this.  Some comments below.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 01:03:22PM +0000, Shay Slobodkin wrote:
> =========
>
> root
> |-- meta-openbmc-bsp
> |   `-- meta-aspeed
> |       |-- conf
> |       |   `-- layer.conf
> |       `-- meta-ast2520 (New SoC)

Is the ast2500 the "class" like ast2400 or are ast2520 and ast2500 two
different things?  If we can add most of the support as a 'class' of
SOC, I would prefer that, so that we can reuse support between all the
flavors of the ast25xx family.

> |-- meta-openbmc-x86-machines

This should be under meta-openbmc-machines I believe.  Then meta-x86?

> |   `-- meta-mellanox
> |   |   |-- conf
> |   |   |   |-- layer.conf
> |   |   |   `-- machine
> |   |   |       `-- include
> |   |   |           `-- mellanox.inc
> |   |   `-- meta-mellanox-edr
> |   |       |-- conf
> |   |       |   |-- layer.conf
> |   |       |   `-- machine
> |   |       |       `-- include
> |   |       |           `-- mellanox.inc

This all looks fine otherwise.

> =========
>
> Also, should we add a "local.conf.sample" file under the "meta-openbmc-x86-machines/conf" path?
> If so, we were wondering about the following variables under the local.conf.sample file (we took the phosphor one as example):
> PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm"
> SANITY_TESTED_DISTROS_append ?= " RedHatEnterpriseWorkstation-6.*"
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"
> USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"
> PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"
> BB_DISKMON_DIRS = "\
>     STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \
>     STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \
>     STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \
>     STOPTASKS,/tmp,100M,100K \
>     ABORT,${TMPDIR},100M,1K \
>     ABORT,${DL_DIR},100M,1K \
>     ABORT,${SSTATE_DIR},100M,1K \
>     ABORT,/tmp,10M,1K"
>
> Guess we should use the "genericx86-64" as MACHINE variable

I think 'edr' would be your MACHINE variable value.  The openbmc build
system doesn't care really what processor type the host has, except when
it comes to the corresponding application suite needed to support that
host processor.  (Host vs BMC in this context).

> We were wondering what specific "oe-init-build-env" and similar files we should change, in order for the project to compile.

Under meta-mellanox-edr you need a few files.  Compare with
meta-palmetto as a reference.  The local.conf.sample you mentioned above
actually goes under the machine.  You shouldn't need to update
oe-init-build-env, because you pass in a TEMPLATECONF environment
variable that selects the local.conf.sample associated with 'edr'.