Assistance adding new system into openbmc project

Shay Slobodkin shays at mellanox.com
Fri Mar 11 02:17:51 AEDT 2016

Thank you Joel for the greetings and assistance!

On Thu, March 10, 2016 at 3:48 PM, [joel.stan at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joel Stanley wrote:

> Hello Shay,
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Shay Slobodkin <shays at mellanox.com>
> wrote:
> > We are newbies for the openbmc project, read through the manuals and
> > would like to work under the ast2520 system.
>
> Welcome! It's great to have you here. We look forward to working with you
> and your colleagues.
>
> We're a new project that is still finding it's feet, so feel free to jump in and
> help out wherever you feel.
>
> Jeremy has spent some time documenting some of our processes
> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/contributing.md, which I
> encourage you and your team to have a read of.
>
> In addition to this list we hang out on irc.freenode.net in #openbmc.
> We're globally distributed, but US central time and all three of the Australian
> timezones are when you will find the most activity.

We will read this documentation as well and let you know if we have further questions.

> > We have several questions regarding the tree structure and building.
> > tree additions to support our system.
> >
> > Please let us know if you find the below as the complete and correct
> > additions.
>
> > root
> >
> > |-- meta-openbmc-bsp
> >
> > |   `-- meta-aspeed
> >
> > |       |-- conf
> >
> > |       |   `-- layer.conf
> >
> > |       `-- meta-ast2520 (New SoC)
>
> This looks good.
>
> > |           |-- recipes-bsp
> >
> > |           |   `-- u-boot
> >
> > |           |       |-- files
> >
> > |           |       |   |-- config.patch
> >
> > |           |       |   |-- fw_env.config
> >
> > |           |       |   `-- patch-2013.07
> >
> > |           |       |       |-- 0000-u-boot-aspeed-064.patch (Exist)
> >
> > |           |       |       |-- 0001-u-boot-openbmc.patch (Exist)
> >
> > |           |       |       `-- 0002-u-boot-aspeed_2520_2500.patch (Patch
> > with 2500-2520 u-boot support)
>
> I believe we now build with u-boot from our git tree (which has these
> patches applied, plus some more fixes), so these should be removed.
>
>  https://github.com/openbmc/u-boot/tree/v2013.07-aspeed-openbmc
>
> Submit your patch for 2520 support there and I'll get it merged in.
>
> The goal there is to get support for the ast chips in upstream u-boot so we
> don't need to carry any local patches.

Thanks! Will do that once we have code ready.

> > |           |       |-- u-boot-fw-utils_2013.07%.bbappend
> >

> > |           |       `-- u-boot_2013.07%.bbappend
> >
> > |           |-- recipes-kernel
> >
> > |           |   `-- linux
> >
> > |           |       |-- linux-obmc
> >
> > |           |       |   |-- defconfig
> >
> > |           |       |   |-- files
> >
> > |           |       |       `-- patch-4.3-dev (Or later, temporary till code
> > upstream)
> >
> > |           |       |           |-- 0000-kernel-aspeed_soc_2520.patch (Patch
> > with 2520 SoC support)
> >
> > |           |       |           |-- 0001-kernel-aspeed_2500_2520_dts.patch
> > (Patch with basic dts support)
>
> Again, send them to the mailing list and we will get them merged into our
> kernel tree:
>
>  https://github.com/openbmc/linux/tree/dev-4.3
>
> I've got on a 4.4 based branch ready to go. We planned to switch to that once
> the v6 release was tagged, which has happened now, so I'll upload that
> change soon.
>
> As with u-boot we intend to upstream support and use that instead of our
> own tree.

Great. Will track that and update when available.

> > |           |       |   `-- hwmon.cfg
> >
> > |           |       `-- linux-obmc_%.bbappend
> >
> > |           `-- recipes.txt
> >
> > |-- meta-openbmc-x86-machines
> >
> > |   `-- meta-mellanox
> >
> > |   |   |-- conf
> >
> > |   |   |   |-- layer.conf
> >
> > |   |   |   `-- machine
> >
> > |   |   |       `-- include
> >
> > |   |   |           `-- mellanox.inc
> >
> > |   |   `-- meta-mellanox-edr
> >
> > |   |       |-- conf
> >
> > |   |       |   |-- layer.conf
> >
> > |   |       |   `-- machine
> >
> > |   |       |       `-- include
> >
> > |   |       |           `-- mellanox.inc
> >
> > |   |       |-- recipes-kernel
> >
> > |   |       |   `-- linux
> >
> > |   |       |       |-- linux-obmc
> >
> > |   |       |       |   |-- files
> >
> > |   |       |       |       `-- patch-4.3-dev (Or later, temporary till code
> > upstream)
> >
> > |   |       |       |          |-- 0002-kernel-mellanox-dts.patch (Patch
> > with Mellanox dts support)
>
> We can include this in kernel tree if you want?

Once we will have them ready, we will publish to the list.

> > |   |       |       |   |-- mellanox-edr.cfg
> >
> > |   |       |       |   `-- mellanox-edr.dts
> >
> > |   |       |       `-- linux-obmc_%.bbappend
> >
> > |   |       `-- recipes.txt
> >

> > =========
> >

> > Also, should we add a “local.conf.sample” file under the
> > “meta-openbmc-x86-machines/conf” path?
>
> I'll let one of the developers more familiar with our project layout and build
> system to help you out with the questions below.

Thank you. This will be of great assistance. Looking forward working with him.