Roadmap for AST2500?

Rick Altherr raltherr at google.com
Sat Jun 4 06:30:35 AEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au> wrote:

> Hello Rick,
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Rick Altherr <raltherr at google.com> wrote:
> > AFAIK, Zaius will have an option for NC-SI in addition to an on-board
> PHY.
> > I suspect there will be some work required for NC-SI with the NICs Google
> > will be using.
>
> We've got a proposed NC-SI stack in our kernels we're using for
> Barreleye and on a ast2500 based system. That's been worked on by
> Gavin; he's keen to find someone who works in the Linux network stack
> to provide meaningful review.

Let me ask if we have anyone here at Google who can help.

> > Are you planning to stick with 4.7-rc1 as a base for AST2500 support?  I
> was
> > expecting to start from a normal release such as 4.6.
>
> We tend to keep moving forward so any work we do is relevant for
> upstreaming. I have some basic aspeed support upstream in 4.7, and I
> moved our drivers up so I could test this. As I didn't run in to any
> trouble on the evb when testing we're running with 4.7.
>
> I intend to continue cleaning up our drivers and submitting them
> before the 4.8 merge window opens. Assistance on this front is
> welcome.

As we discussed in IRC, I've backported the upstream aspeed support from
4.7-rc1 to 4.6 and then rebased your dev-4.7 branch on top.  I've pushed
the result to https://github.com/kc8apf/linux/tree/v4.6-ast2500.  This
seems to be a good starting point for linux-obmc so I'll send a pull
request soon.  While you move your dev branch along with upstream, I'll
backport changes into the 4.6-based linux-obmc branch until 4.7 is
released.  Then we'll move linux-obmc to 4.7 and repeat.  That way, poky
can be aimed at the 4.6-based linux-obmc and let work on the BSP and
machine layers continue.

> > I'll ask one of my people to start looking into u-boot.  I know we need
> > do some work for Google-specific changes but we should also be able to
> help
> > with getting the Aspeed changes cleaned up for upstream.
>
> We've got two people working on that front. Teddy has been focusing on
> the ast2400 and sent some mail to the u-boot list relating to that
> today.
>
> Cedric has been focusing on ast2500 support. He has that booting on
> Qemu and will try that on hardware next week.

I look forward to seeing the changes.  Full obmc-phosphor-images will be
blocked until we have a u-boot that can at least build for ast2500.

> Finally, Brad has added a ast2500-evb board to our poky tree. Expect
> to see patches for that on the list in the next day or two.

As we discussed on IRC, Xo and I have also put together a BSP and machine
layer that seems to build everything except u-boot.  So far when using the
SDK u-boot, the image seems to boot up to starting login consoles.  There's
something not right with the ttys so we never get a login prompt.  Xo is
poking at that now.