Roadmap for AST2500?

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Sat Jun 4 06:12:38 AEST 2016

Hello Rick,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Rick Altherr <raltherr at google.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, Zaius will have an option for NC-SI in addition to an on-board PHY.
> I suspect there will be some work required for NC-SI with the NICs Google
> will be using.

We've got a proposed NC-SI stack in our kernels we're using for
Barreleye and on a ast2500 based system. That's been worked on by
Gavin; he's keen to find someone who works in the Linux network stack
to provide meaningful review.

> Are you planning to stick with 4.7-rc1 as a base for AST2500 support?  I was
> expecting to start from a normal release such as 4.6.

We tend to keep moving forward so any work we do is relevant for
upstreaming. I have some basic aspeed support upstream in 4.7, and I
moved our drivers up so I could test this. As I didn't run in to any
trouble on the evb when testing we're running with 4.7.

I intend to continue cleaning up our drivers and submitting them
before the 4.8 merge window opens. Assistance on this front is
welcome.

> I'll ask one of my people to start looking into u-boot.  I know we need to
> do some work for Google-specific changes but we should also be able to help
> with getting the Aspeed changes cleaned up for upstream.

We've got two people working on that front. Teddy has been focusing on
the ast2400 and sent some mail to the u-boot list relating to that
today.

Cedric has been focusing on ast2500 support. He has that booting on
Qemu and will try that on hardware next week.

Finally, Brad has added a ast2500-evb board to our poky tree. Expect
to see patches for that on the list in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Joel