naming conventions

Kenneth Wilke kenneth.wilke at RACKSPACE.COM
Sat Aug 27 05:18:23 AEST 2016

Makes sense to me, seems like a good way to quickly identify the scope of purpose for each application.
From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+kenneth.wilke=rackspace.com at lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Brad Bishop <bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 1:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Patches
Subject: naming conventions

I wanted to take a stab at standardizing our naming conventions a little better.

In general, applications would be (loosely) named after the layer they are associated with.  For example:

phosphor-foo: application that can run on any card running OpenBMC
op-foo: application that can only run on OpenPOWER systems
ibm-foo: application that can only run on IBM systems
palmetto-foo: application specific to the Palmetto system

I chose phosphor-foo rather than obmc-foo to draw attention to the fact that ‘Phosphor’ refers to a reference implementation/distribution (ideally) of OpenBMC (similar to Poky/OpenEmbedded).

When naming things or filling out description fields in recipes, etc, please avoid the overly redundant name or description: obmc-phosphor or “Phosphor OpenBMC”.  Given that Phosphor is the reference for OpenBMC you can just say “Phosphor."

thoughts/feedback?

-brad