FRU VPD - MAC and UUID

Vishwanatha Subbanna vishwanath at in.ibm.com
Thu Apr 21 17:19:39 AEST 2016

Answering #2:

IPMI FRU format has 2 more sections namely, INTERNAL and MULTI although we
have not been using this in our code.

I would vote for appending the MAC as part of product or board and then
updating the offsets+size accordingly in the area specific header that
would now tell the size including the MAC data. What this also means is
that common header meta data would change.

Another approach would be looking at what areas have *not* been populated
for some FRU that is on the board and then squeeze this new one into that
un-populated area and populate that area specific header and common header.

All the FRU's may not necessarily have all the areas populated. What I have
seen most is just 2 areas ( Board, Product) / ( Chassis, Board) / (Chassis,
Product) so we can use whatever that is not populated and put this new one
there.

Also, if this VPD is readable by HB, I am guessing we would need to tell HB
on this format.

We do not want to append MAC to product area since it overlaps with multi
area and will result in corruption..

Last resort,  we can either use INTERNAL -or- MULTI but using INTERNAL area
looks a more cleaner -but- that needs a code change since we have not been
supporting it. So I would nto vote for this....

Thanks

Thanks and Regards,
Vishwanath.
Advisory Software Engineer,
Power Firmware Development,
Systems &Technology Lab,
MG2-6F-255 , Manyata Embassy Business Park,
Bangalore , KA , 560045
Ph: +91-80-46678255
E-mail: vishwanath at in.ibm.com