EEPROM driver

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Oct 1 16:26:40 AEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
> Do we want devices to generally be required to be added to the device tree
> or do we want to have a userspace app that probes the i2c bus for devices based on hotplug events?

For the devices that are fixed in a system, such as devices on the i2c
bus, we would encode them in the device tree.

> For device tree entries are you just suggesting that the i2c master
> would be in the device tree or all the end devices?

Both. The device tree describes the relationship between the i2c bus
and the devices that hang off of each bus. We also encode interrupt
numbers, i2c addresses, and any other information that might be
configurable in the driver.

> Is there an easy way for us to pre-populate a device tree at build time
> for elements we know about a particular BMC / machine combination?  We
> may need to incorporate elements from both the bmc-bsp layer and the
> machine-bsp layer.

We will encode this information in the layer that describes the PCB
that the BMC is attached to. Guessing at your naming scheme, I imagine
this would be the machine-bsp layer?

Do we have a wiki page that describes the the bitbake layers and how
they relate to each other?

Cheers,

Joel