EEPROM driver

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Oct 1 05:13:52 AEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:17:59AM +0930, Joel Stanley wrote:
> > If we have enabled this driver correctly and probe the i2c bus then
> > there will be an entry in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/ with a file containing
> > the EEPROM data.  This file can then be passed to our IPMI FRU parser
> > and then updated in the appropriate fru-manager DBus object.
>
> IIRC it lives on i2c1 - the second bus. We should be able to add it to
> the device tree and have the kernel load the driver at boot; this is
> working for the rtc device that sits on i2c0.

Joel,

There is a slight philosophical question embedded in your response:

Do we want devices to generally be required to be added to the device tree
or do we want to have a userspace app that probes the i2c bus for devices based on hotplug events?

Other questions that come to mind:

For device tree entries are you just suggesting that the i2c master
would be in the device tree or all the end devices?

Is there an easy way for us to pre-populate a device tree at build time
for elements we know about a particular BMC / machine combination?  We
may need to incorporate elements from both the bmc-bsp layer and the
machine-bsp layer.

--
Patrick Williams