[NEMO-devel] scenarios.re100_batteries(c)

Don Cameron dcameron3009 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 14 12:40:00 AEDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I have just joined nemo-devel at the invitation of Ben Elliston. I sent him an email that described a problem that I encountered with the scenario that is the subject of this email, and he asked me to repost the description to this list.

I am very new to running nemo code. I have come to nemo as a result of reading "100% renewable electricity in Australia" by Blakers, Lu, and Stocks. And I came to that paper because I am trying to model 100% renewable electricity in Canada. I am particularly interested in the provisioning of storage as a balancing tool on the grid.

So, to the task at hand.

I loaded nemo in Pycharm that is running Python 3 and tried out the sample code on the Jupyter Notebook page. I had to put() around the argument to the print command.

I then went on to try the re100_batteries scenario

I have attached a file listing the code that I ran and the output.

One of the lines is
print(c.generators).
All of the solar and wind resources are 0kW. The hydro resources had positive capacity values.

Three of the code lines are:
print(c.total_demand())
print(c.unserved_energy())
print(c.unserved_percent())
print(c.surplus_energy())

The corresponding output is:
204366325.39999998
160085913.39999998
78.33282371088715
0.0

I saw the wind_limit, pv_limit, and cst_limit lists in polygons.py and was expecting those numbers to show up in the c.generators output as the capacities for the renewable resources, but they did not.

I am hoping that one of you recognizes the problem right off the bat and can provide me with some guidance on what to do about it.

I did a bit of stepping through the code in the debugger but I think that probably triggered web request timeouts. So I would have to think through a bit more on how to breakpoint the code to avoid the timeouts.

That said, the output suggests that the trace files were retrieved. So the main question appears to be why the renewable resources were not provisioned with capacity.

Regards,
Don Cameron