Kernel oops then panic when perform a soft reset on ppc64 box

Jin Qi Huang huangjq at cn.ibm.com
Wed Mar 1 18:26:42 EST 2006

I have found some information fron IBM website:
1. The state of the processor after taking the Soft Reset exception is
unremarkable, because SRESET#
merely causes an exception.
2. The SRESET# pin is only causes the processor to take the System Reset
exception.

this make me very doubt, since soft reset only causes a Systerm Reset
exception and the state of the processor is unremarkable, why the
exception handler of Linux let system go to die? thinks for you reply!

--
Regards,

Paul Mackerras <paulus at samba.org>
2006-02-20 10:03

Jin Qi Huang/China/Contr/IBM at IBMCN
cc
linuxppc64-dev at ozlabs.org
Subject
Re: Kernel oops then panic when perform a soft reset on ppc64 box

Jin Qi Huang writes:

> When I perform a soft reset on HMC console to a ppc64 box, the kernel
oops
> then panic, here is the procedure to reproduce it:

That's normal, what did you expect it to do?

Paul.