[patch 0/8] systemsim and hvc_console patches

Arnd Bergmann arndb at de.ibm.com
Mon Jan 16 00:10:13 EST 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 03:09, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Seems like they still need a bit of cleanup before they get merged. I've
> commented on most of the patches, see separate emails.

Ok, after looking at the device drivers more closely, I feel a little
silly for proposing the systemim patches for inclusion.

Are there any further issues with patches 5 and 6, the hvc_console
cleanup and rtas driver patches? It would surely be good to get them
in because they are required to run on the Mercury products that
are already shipping.

In this case, the definition of 'in' would probably be powerpc.git
and subsequently linux-2.6.17, or is there a different upstream
maintainer for console patches?

> Overall I'm not sure how I feel about having hacks in the kernel for
> systemsim. If it's truly simulating the full system, why can't it simulate
> the disk device and network device as well instead of doing things with
> magic instructions like it does now?

I think systemsim does have accurate models for a number of IDE and
network devices, but I would rather not have to use them because they will
run at a horribly slow speed, because they try to model the performance
of the devices relative to the CPU cycles.

For the cell simulator in particular, I think there is no model of the
spider-pic interrupt controller, which means that systemsim can not use
the models for the devices it uses on other platforms. Eric, is this still
correct?

	Arnd <><