AW: Re: __setup_cpu_be problem

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Feb 10 15:35:15 EST 2006

> [/me is sing webmail from some distant location in .nz, sorry if
>  the mail gets messed up]
>
> Doing it in the firmware sounds like the right solution to me.
> I would however not want to do that if the current firmware
> sets the wrong page sizes.
>
> I know that Hartmut wanted me to provide him with the right device
> tree information that he needs to create to say that the page
> size are 16M, 64k and 4k. Maybe we can find a combined solution
> for these problems. Using __setup_cpu_power4 should be ok.

I don't completely understand your statement ... sorry

> We could probably do a fallback in the cell setup to see if
> the properties are in the device tree and do our own HID6
> setup stuff if not, normally expecting that the firmware settings
> match the device tree.

We should not touch HID6 at all ... we should assume the firmware set it
appropriately and have setup matching page size entries in the
device-tree. I don't think we need to support changing that value
especially since the kernel doesn't quite support 1M large page sizes
anyway.

> Geoff, if your firmware does not already have the properties
> for large page sizes, could you add them?
>
> Ben, could you point Hartmut (and maybe Geoff) to the documentation
> for how the device tree needs to look like?

I'm not sure we published that yet :) I would suggest looking at what
the kernel does to parse these instead in hash_utils.c until I get a
former IBM approval for the spec to be published