AW: Re: __setup_cpu_be problem

arnd at arndb.de arnd at arndb.de
Fri Feb 10 15:21:15 EST 2006

>On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:37 -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
>> Arnd,
>>
>> It seems HID6 is a hypervisor resource...  Can we just have
>> '.cpu_setup = __setup_cpu_power4', and you setup your
>> page sizes somewhere else?
>
>Or better test if MSR:HV is set ? :) But yeah, he shouldn't have to set
>the page sizes there anyway, I would expect the firmware to do it and
>pass the right sizes via the device-tree since that's what the kernel
>expects. (Though you really want LP0 to be 16M and not 1M as the kernel
>can't really deal with the later properly anyway with the current page
>table layouts).

[/me is sing webmail from some distant location in .nz, sorry if
 the mail gets messed up]

Doing it in the firmware sounds like the right solution to me.
I would however not want to do that if the current firmware
sets the wrong page sizes.

I know that Hartmut wanted me to provide him with the right device
tree information that he needs to create to say that the page
size are 16M, 64k and 4k. Maybe we can find a combined solution
for these problems. Using __setup_cpu_power4 should be ok.

We could probably do a fallback in the cell setup to see if
the properties are in the device tree and do our own HID6
setup stuff if not, normally expecting that the firmware settings
match the device tree.

Geoff, if your firmware does not already have the properties
for large page sizes, could you add them?

Ben, could you point Hartmut (and maybe Geoff) to the documentation
for how the device tree needs to look like?

Hartmut, can you find out the value of HID6 when you enter the kernel
from the firmware?

     Arnd <><