creating PCI-related sysfs entries

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Feb 4 04:08:34 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:53:21PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt was heard to remark:

> > People have suggested that they create such a driver for a long time.
> > Why not just do that?
>
> if he also wants consolidated "global" stats,
> then yes, a host controller driver might be the way to go).

I've had trouble parsing these suggestions. I can certainly
hack up some pci-host structure so I can publish a few stats
(the goal is to eliminate /proc/ppc64/eeh).  By "hack" I mean
something that would live with either the rpaphp code or the
powerpc code. However, this is a different type of activity
than the idea "define a generic architecture-neutral pci-host
bridge structure".

Maybe I should just do the first, and if it ignites anyone's
imagination, we can talk about the second.

--linas