[patch 2/5] powerpc: create a new arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/smp.c

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Tue Nov 1 11:13:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:50, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Dinsdag 01 November 2005 00:26, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > A lot of your smp routines are identical to the pSeries versions.
> > Wouldn't it be preferable to only have one implementation?
>
> Yes it would. I'm not sure how that would best be done however. Until
> 2.6.14, we've just used the pSeries implementation, which does not work any
> more now that we want to keep the platform stuff in separate directories.
>
> One idea might be to split out the rtas calls (startup_cpu, give_timebase,
> take_timebase) to rtas.c so they can be included by all chrp-descendants.
> smp_init_cell() can be further simplified under the assumption that we're
> always SMT and never LPAR, although the latter might change in the future.

OK, I'm not sure what the best spot is.

arch/powerpc/sysdev is apparently the place for stuff that's not core-kernel
but shared between platforms, although maybe smp ops are core, I dunno.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

email: michael:ellerman.id.au
inmsg: mpe:jabber.org
wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person