panic reboot stuck in rtas_os_term

Mike Strosaker strosake at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 26 11:16:13 EST 2005

Jake Moilanen wrote:
>>How do I change that policy on a js20? Having a stuck system is as bad
>>as this stupid panic blinking on i386.
>

> Normally that is setup through the service processor (interfaced
> through the ASM, HMC, or SP menus). But on a JS20 there is not a fully
> featured SP. So there is no simple method that I know of.  You may be
> able to do it through the ibm,set-sysetm-parameter RTAS call.  It would
> require some research to figure out exactly what needs to be passed in.

The ibm,os-auto-restart variable in NVRAM (in the common partition, I think),
is set to 'x' by default, indicating that the OS doesn't have a restart policy
set.  The OS is supposed to set the policy to '1' or '0' to indicate whether
it wants to be restarted after a crash.  Unfortunately, the variable is always
reset to 'x' on reboot.

I don't know if these exist on the JS20, but there may also be sp-plt-reboot
and sp-os-plt-reboot variables in NVRAM.  The former sets the platform's
restart policy; the latter indicates whether the platform's or OS's reboot
policy should be used.  If they exist, I would expect that setting the former
to 'y' and the latter to 'n' would also cause os-term to reboot.

Mike