panic reboot stuck in rtas_os_term

Jake Moilanen moilanen at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 26 04:46:17 EST 2005

> How do I change that policy on a js20? Having a stuck system is as bad
> as this stupid panic blinking on i386.

Normally that is setup through the service processor (interfaced
through the ASM, HMC, or SP menus). But on a JS20 there is not a fully
featured SP. So there is no simple method that I know of.  You may be
able to do it through the ibm,set-sysetm-parameter RTAS call.  It would
require some research to figure out exactly what needs to be passed in.
Is it bothering you that much?

> > I remember finding a bug (which I thought I fixed) that fixed a
> > problem w/ the schedule timeout in the panic code: Novell 75391.
>
> But the rtas call does not return, so the kernel cant do anything.

There was a firmware problem w/ os-term awhile ago (returned hardware
error).  It may be related.  How old is your firmware?

Jake