2.6.11 e1000 EEH MMIO failure

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 5 02:28:55 EST 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:33:05PM -0400, Sonny Rao was heard to remark:

> Ah okay cool, so in the future Linux will be able to smartly handle
> it, very nice.  Unfortunately I can't really test your patch because
> several other people need to use the machine which is normally
> partitioned up (and that particular device is left out of any LPAR
> config)   I just happend to boot the full-system partition to do some
> tests and noticed the problem.

There's supposed to be some code that allows slots to be dynamically
added and removed from running partitions, but I've never tried it
myself.

> Again, if someone wants to do something with that card, let me know,
> otherwise I'm going to toss it out.

FWIW, field experience shows that nine out of ten failures are due to
poorly seated PCI cards. Before you chuck it, you might want to remove
it, make sure there are no iron filings in the slot, and try again.

Let me know how that goes; I'd like to add this to my bag of "real
world" experience with this thing.

--linas