2.6.11 e1000 EEH MMIO failure

Sonny Rao sonny at burdell.org
Wed May 4 10:33:05 EST 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 05:55:08PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:17:47PM -0400, Sonny Rao was heard to remark:
> >
> > This little bugger is causing a lot of spew into my logs, is there a
> > way to tell EEH to just offline that PCI device ?  Isn't that what
> > it's supposed to do?  Is there a PCI hotplug FAQ or README somewhere
> > that I can read (and stop posting this crap to the list :) )
>
> You can prevent it from panicing by setting "panic_on_oops" to 0
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic_on_oops
>
> Unfortunately, there is no boot-prompt option for this;
> there should be a __setup(panic_on_oops) added to kernel/panic.c

Hmm okay, so it isn't actually causing a panic in my case, which I
think is good mind you :)  I didn't actually try and use it though, it
was just in that machine among other e1000s.

> As to actually recovering from that error-- you might try applying
> one of the earlier posted EEH patches; it should work.  These earlier
> patches aren't in the mainline kernel because they have deficiencies.
>
> I'm supposed to be re-writing the code to make an EEH patch that is
> generally acceptable as a real patch, but am currently snowed under
> with other activities.

Ah okay cool, so in the future Linux will be able to smartly handle
it, very nice.  Unfortunately I can't really test your patch because
several other people need to use the machine which is normally
partitioned up (and that particular device is left out of any LPAR
config)   I just happend to boot the full-system partition to do some
tests and noticed the problem.

Again, if someone wants to do something with that card, let me know,
otherwise I'm going to toss it out.

Sonny