Hugepage COW

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Mar 17 14:48:44 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:01:36PM -0600, Adam Litke wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 01:03, David Gibson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:18:25AM -0800, Adam Litke wrote:
> > > Hi David.  I've been trying out your consolidation patch and everything
> > > seems to be working great for me too on ppc64.
> >
> > That's good to know.  Did you test on anything other than ppc64?
> > That's where the patch really needs testing.
>
> I just want to report a testing ACK on i386 for both the consolidation
> patch and the COW patch.  Is there anything holding these back from
> mainline?  Let me know if I can do anything else to help out.  Once my
> hugetlb tests make it onto ABAT, I'll be able to test x86_64 and ia64 as
> well.

As far as the consolidation patch goes, lack of testing was the main
objective reason for holding back.  So if you could test on x86_64 and
ia64 too, that would be great.  wli had some objections to the patch
when I first posted which I didn't and don't really understand, and
from conversations with akpm, I'm certainly thinking of just
re-sending it.

COW will be a bit more of a political shitfight, I suspect.  I'd like
to at least hold off until the consolidation is merged, which makes
the COW much easier.  We'll also need to implement the necessary
arch-hooks for COW on every platform.  Speaking of which, did you
implement the i386 hooks?  I thought I only did COW for ppc64, so far,
although on top of the consolidation patch the amount of arch code is
vastly reduced.

david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist.  NOT _the_ _other_ _way_
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson