panic reboot stuck in rtas_os_term

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Wed Jun 1 02:06:28 EST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:46:17PM -0500, Jake Moilanen was heard to remark:

> > But the rtas call does not return, so the kernel cant do anything.
>
> There was a firmware problem w/ os-term awhile ago (returned hardware
> error).  It may be related.  How old is your firmware?

Is this GA level firmware?  If some customer out in the field has GA
level h/w running SLES9 successfully today, will upgrading to SP1 (or
SP2) "break" the h/w? (i.e. force the customer to upgrade firmware?)

I'm wondering if that's why Olaf is complaining.

Should we have some RAS daemon that nags the user: "this kernel version
requires at least firmware level XXX to operate properly"?

--linas