question about LMB's size

Will Schmidt willschm at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 18 03:42:05 EST 2005

Hi,

ipseries-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 01/17/2005 05:00:46 AM:
> Hi,
> This is a question about the different of memory size between lpar and
HMC.

> 2. In lpar didolp2: We get the size of memory is 2174672KB.
> [root at didolp2 ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal: 2174672 kB
>
> The question is: 2174672/(32*1024) = 66.36572265625

MemTotal is the amount of free memory in the partition, which does not
include the memory that holds the kernel code, (bss, data, init).

There should be a few other pieces of data that will add up to the numbers
you are looking for.

in early boot messages, there is a line "SystemCfg->physicalMemorySize =
0x.......".   This value should be precisely what you are trying to
measure.

A bit later in the logs, you can also see a line
"Memory: XXXXk/YYYYk available (###k kernel code, ###k reserved, ###k data,
###k bss, ###k init).
the YYYYk should also match what you are looking for.