ppc64 xics.c: what is smp_threads_ready exactly used for?

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Sun Jan 16 16:26:56 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 04:19:04PM +1100, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Anton,

> > during a cleanup, I stumbled upon the following:
> >

> > arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c (in 2.6.11-rc1-mm1) says:
> >
> >         /* XXX fix this, xics currently relies on it - Anton */
> >         smp_threads_ready = 1;
> >

> > arch/ppc64/kernel/xics.c is the _only_ place in the whole kernel where
> > smp_threads_ready is actually used, and this is the _only_ place where
> > smp_threads_ready ever changes it's value on ppc64.
>
> It turns out I was about to submit a patch to remove the ppc64 use of
> smp_threads_ready. With that patch it makes sense to kill
> smp_threads_ready completely.

I've got a patch ready to remove smp_threads_ready on all architectures.

The only part I still need ids how to replace it in xics.c, since this
is the only read access to this variable on all architectures.

Could you send me this part for inclusion into my patch?

> Anton

TIA
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.