ppc64 xics.c: what is smp_threads_ready exactly used for?

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Sun Jan 16 15:33:56 EST 2005

Hi Anton,

during a cleanup, I stumbled upon the following:

arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c (in 2.6.11-rc1-mm1) says:

        /* XXX fix this, xics currently relies on it - Anton */
        smp_threads_ready = 1;

arch/ppc64/kernel/xics.c is the _only_ place in the whole kernel where
smp_threads_ready is actually used, and this is the _only_ place where
smp_threads_ready ever changes it's value on ppc64.

I have to admit I'm a bit lost in the sequence of function calls on
ppc64. Is it possible to make any assumptions about the ordering of the
assignment and the usage of smp_threads_ready?

TIA
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed