ppc32 on Xserve?

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 28 23:12:33 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 01:33:24PM +0100, Jan Schukat wrote:
> Hello,
> I got myself an Xserve G5 Single Processor, and want to put a Debian on it, since that is what I have most experience with (and sofware and performance).
> But I still have pretty little experience with ppc hardware, so that could become a catch.
> I have a Debian on my PowerBook and have a pretty customized (minimum components, no initrd, no sound, no graphics etc.,  as much as possible compiled in) own kernel running there.
> But my time to fiddle on my Xserve is somewhat limited, since it is an office where I have a permanent connection and own IP. So I want to prepare as much as possible before going there. And the main thing to prepare is have a prepare a proper kernel-package, that won't let me down when I put it on there.
>
> So here finally my two questions:
>
> 1. I haven't found a kernel_config as a place to start with customizing, can anyone be so kind and point me to one?
> 2. Since I only have 1GB memory, I figured it would be a waste to use 64bit. But do the SATA/RAID/Thermal/Netweork drivers work with 32bit? I won't need wireless.
>
> Finally, if anyone has anything additional to say, like things I should take care of and that inexperienced with the hardware an easily break, that would be appreciated too.
> Once I have my System running there, I will definetely put up a page with my experiences. And I'm also willing to be (ab)used for newest patch testing ;)

the install64 target of the debian-installer (etch beta1 or sid daily builds
probably) should installjust fine. I would forget about the 32bit kernel for
this, altough because you use a 64bit kernel doesn't mean you have to use a
64bit userland, and indeed debian is (still) 32bit only for the powerpc
userland.

Friendly,

Sven Luther