ppc32 on Xserve?

Jan Schukat oozey at web.de
Fri Dec 23 23:33:24 EST 2005

Hello,
I got myself an Xserve G5 Single Processor, and want to put a Debian on it, since that is what I have most experience with (and sofware and performance).
But I still have pretty little experience with ppc hardware, so that could become a catch.
I have a Debian on my PowerBook and have a pretty customized (minimum components, no initrd, no sound, no graphics etc.,  as much as possible compiled in) own kernel running there.
But my time to fiddle on my Xserve is somewhat limited, since it is an office where I have a permanent connection and own IP. So I want to prepare as much as possible before going there. And the main thing to prepare is have a prepare a proper kernel-package, that won't let me down when I put it on there.

So here finally my two questions:

1. I haven't found a kernel_config as a place to start with customizing, can anyone be so kind and point me to one?
2. Since I only have 1GB memory, I figured it would be a waste to use 64bit. But do the SATA/RAID/Thermal/Netweork drivers work with 32bit? I won't need wireless.

Finally, if anyone has anything additional to say, like things I should take care of and that inexperienced with the hardware an easily break, that would be appreciated too.
Once I have my System running there, I will definetely put up a page with my experiences. And I'm also willing to be (ab)used for newest patch testing ;)

Regards

Jan