please pull ppc64-2.6.git

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Tue Aug 30 04:02:38 EST 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Russell King wrote:

> Is the expected filesystem layout documented somewhere online (_external_
> to the source code) ?

Nope, I don't think so.

> Alternatively, when changes occur to the repostory format, please can
> they be marked with some obvious subject so that folk know when things
> are going to break?

The only actual filesystem _breakage_ has been the introduction of
pack-files (and the old, old _old_ thing where I changed the actual object
compression/hashing order).

The "objects/info/alternates" thing is an extension, which allows you to
have a partial object store, and point to the "rest of it", and still have
all the tools understand it and be able to parse the totality of it. So it
doesn't break or change old formats, it only allows a new one.

(Partial repos have always worked with the rsync protocol, and with the
client-side pulling. But that was more of an accident than anything else,
and they fundamentally were broken for any real work - gitweb can't show
anything really sane, server-side serving - whether anonymous or ssh -
doesn't work, etc etc).

		Linus