please pull ppc64-2.6.git

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Aug 30 03:45:10 EST 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:32:09AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > Please do a pull from:
> >
> > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulus/ppc64-2.6.git
>
> Gaah.
>
> This is not a valid git repository.
>
> Guys, if you do partially populated repositories, _please_ make sure that
> you still make it a valid git repository. These days you can trivially do
> so by doing a
>
> 	echo /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6/objects > objects/info/alternates
>
> or similar. That also makes gitweb able to show diffs etc, something it
> can't do for a broken partial repository.

Is the expected filesystem layout documented somewhere online (_external_
to the source code) ?

The reason I stress external to the code is that some of us do not track
git developments.  (Except via the ctrl-d method in our mail readers.)

Alternatively, when changes occur to the repostory format, please can
they be marked with some obvious subject so that folk know when things
are going to break?

--
Russell King