Fwd: Options for kdump kernel location

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Thu Aug 18 17:02:53 EST 2005

Benh pointed out that the kernel actually looks like this:

  |  text segment |  __init data & code |  data (data/got/bss) |

And so once the kernel is booted, ie. all __init stuff is freed, we have this:

  |  text segment |     free memory     |  data (data/got/bss) |

And that free memory may be used for DMA. This basically makes option one a
non-option, as we'd quite likely have ongoing DMAs into the second kernel's
text and/or data.

Paulus pointed out that we could just not free the __init stuff, which would
cost as a few 100 K but that's not much these days. That would make option
one a possibility again.

Haren and Vivek both pointed out that distros may be reluctant to implement
option two, because it requires a specially built capture kernel. A PIC
kernel would help there, but only if we always build PIC.

Vivek pointed out that there is existing code for i386, "purgatory", which is
equivalent to my shim. Although purgatory is part of kexec-tools, not the
kernel which seems odd to me.

Vivek mentioned that x86_64 uses dedicated page tables so the copying step can
be done in virtual mode. Not sure if we can do that on PPC?

Manessh point out that the i386 kdump used to behave similarly to option one,
but that it was redesigned more or less like option two. Perhaps we should
learn from their mistakes? :D

---

Generally it's looking like option 2 is safer, assuming we can get the kernel
booting at !0.

I've got patches which go some way to doing that, at the moment my kernel
linked at 64MB explodes as soon as we try to lmb_alloc() - not sure why yet.

cheers