Custom 2.6 Kernel on Power5 pSeries

Yaoping Ruan yruan at cs.princeton.edu
Fri Apr 8 14:25:25 EST 2005

Hello,

Is there anybody had successful experience compiling 2.6 kernel on Power
5 servers? We recently purchased a Power5 p520 server and installed with
RHEL4 for ppc64. While the installation was ok, I had problem compiling
a custom kernel.

I installed the kernel src rpm, generated the ppc code, and compiled the
kernel with the default config in /boot. When I updated the yaboot.conf
and reboot, it died in the middle reporting "vfs error ...".

I'd appreciate if anybody can share some experience with me, or give me
some links for instruction.

-Yaoping